18 February 2018

My Missal

As I said in my post, Being Catholic in Wilber, Nebraska,
For the first time in my Catholic life, I'm actually considering buying a Missal of Paul VI. In the past, I saw no reason to do so, since every Priest seemed to be making up his own Mass as he went along, no matter what was printed in the missal or what the rubrics said. Why invest in a missal if I couldn't even follow the Masses I was hearing?
Well, I did buy one. Since I'm 70 years old, with two ultimately terminal diseases, I didn't think it was cost effective to invest in a nice, leather-bound missal which can get quite expensive. Since I almost never attend daily Mass because of the time it's celebrated, even a Sunday Missal in leatherette or vinyl will run about $25.00-$30.00.

So, in the interest of economy, I ended up buying the 2018 St Joseph Annual Sunday Missal for the princely sum of $1.97! True, there was a $3.00 S&H charge, but I figure I can afford $5.00 p.a. for a few years.

It's quite complete, with all ten Eucharistic Prayers. (May God grant that I never hear any of them except the first  four!) It has all the 'suggested' Prefaces laid out by Sunday, the Prayers over the Gifts, the Post Communion Prayers, etc. And, since in this Diocese, Mass is celebrated strictly according to the book, or as Fr Z would say, by doing the red and reading the black, for the first time in my Catholic life, other than when I've been blessed by being able to attend the Traditional Latin Mass, I can follow the Mass in my own Missal!

Deo gratias!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.